I have had it in my heart and head to keep a gratitude journal for about a year now. Every time I get started I stop. Upon serious consideration I realize the reason I keep stopping is because my thankful entries seem so carnal. And it makes me feel like such a carnal unspiritual person. Interesting. Am I really that carnal? Is my impression of God really so shallow? That He is like a bubble gum ball machine up in the sky dropping down blessings at my bidding? This is crazy! I've never seen myself quite so carnal and worldly minded as I have each time I start these gratitude lists. I am trying to see through this to the other side. Maybe it is my unbalanced view of God. Maybe I really do not believe that he cares for every minute detail of my life. Maybe I don't really believe the Bible. Psalm 139:1-6 says;
O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me.
You know when I sit down or stand up.
You know my thoughts even when I am far away.
You see me when I travel and when I rest at home.
You know everything I do.
You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord.
You go before me and follow me.
You place your hand of blessing on my head.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too great for me to understand!
Too great for me to understand.
That must be it. So I am going to endeavor to do this. I am taking the challenge to write down 1000 things I am thankful to God for, in one years time, regardless of how I look to myself in the mirror of God's word. I think I am going to learn a lot. I hope it will help me to love and know Jesus more intimately and fully as I appreciate the many things that I am sure I am taking for granted on a daily basis. I am ready to face my carnal self and hopefully crawl out of that skin for good.
1. Today I am thankful for sunshine. Bright blue skies and warm sun on my skin.
2. Trees getting their summer clothes. Little leaves with the promise of a green canopy overhead.
3. Open windows and a chorus of song floating in on the gentle breeze at my back as I am typing this. A symphony of birds leading me in thankful praise to my Creator!
4. I am also deeply thankful for the body of Christ and the small part I get to play in it. For the familiar comfort of acceptance and love as I sit in silence with my sisters and brothers before the Lord.
5. For the spiritual gift within me and the working of it to my astonishment again and again. For the complete awesome privilege to be a vessel used by God. Oh that everyone would know and use their spiritual gifts to the edification of the body of Christ and the glory of God!
6.Love from a pure heart. Only you, Lord Jesus, can make my heart love with no guile or hidden motive. Just such a free and pure accepting love flowing out of my heart. Thank you.
7.Thank you for giving me a husband that watches out for my soul so diligently. Even when I push against his watchfulness and care. Thank you for a shepherd husband.
Not so carnal today? Just wait. I am sure I will surprise you eventually. Maybe the fact that I have been praying and pondering this for a few hours has helped me to be more spiritually minded. Hey! Maybe if I ponder gratitude more often everyday, maybe I will actually become a more spiritually minded Christian. Hmmmm......... This will take some definite work. I will keep you posted.
I am linking arms with many precious women taking the challenge to live more thoughtfully through thanks to our Creator HERE.